Malaysia England Spain China Germany Italy New Zealand Indonesia

archives by entry title

29 April 2004

Left Behind

Location : Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

What a story I have to tell you today. Now, you guys know I am going surfing in Thailand despite the fact that I will be travelling through troubled regions in southern Thailand, right? (Read the last post - more than 100 persons killed yesterday). A friend of mine by the name of James is meant to go surfing with me in Thailand too. I got him to buy train tickets for us a week in advance because I was on the Perhentian Islands, far and isolated from the mainland. We bought the tickets in advance because this coming weekend is a long public/bank holiday in Malaysia and we anticipated train tickets to be sold out. He sent me an sms saying that departure is Thursday(today) 29th April, 8.10pm. So today, he called me about 6 or 7 times just arranging and re-arranging plans on where to meet, what to pack, how much currency to change, etc. I could hear the eagerness and enthusiasm in his voice like a little kid waiting to open his Christmas present.

I sent him this sms text message yesterday when I heard the news -

"More than 100 people killed today in the southern regions of Thailand where we are travelling through. How?"

His reply was -

"Of course going ahead! We may get to see some action!!!"

You can tell that he is some sort of a nutter who really wants to go surfing but is willing to risk limb and life to see people being blown to bits. Three hours from departure I call him to re-confirm the departure time.

Me : James, tell me the exact time of departure and other ticket details.
James : Wait...let me get the tickets out. Okay, we are on coach V1, departing from platform....it doesn't state here.
Me : Yeah, they normally decide that in the last minute and they will display it at the station. What time does it depart?
James : Wednesday 8.10pm, 28th April........wednesday? FFUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK!! OH MY FUCK.

The unimaginable had happened. Our train had left without us, last night. James is a full grown man, working adult, an old friend of mine and a complete clown! I was left speechless for a minute or two after that phone conversation....then I fucken bowled myself over laughing at the silly, silly mistake. This is the sort of thing that normally only happens in movies like Dumb and Dumber. I mean here I am, wondering if I should write a will, my parents all stressed up, my stuff all packed up, my currencies all changed and me, all ready to charge into Thailand with surfboards blazing when in actual fact, I missed my ride. Can't believe I'm saying that....I missed my ride..

After all the euphoria, I heared in the news that the Thai government is expecting a backlash by the insurgents in the next 5 to 10 days. Being stubborn dickheads as we men are, we STILL wanted to go ahead despite an oblivious omen possibly indicating hostage days ahead. Then again, you can't really blame us for wanting to go because it is such a party pooper getting all dressed up for nothing. James has already applied for annual leave and is off work the next couple of days. So I called up half the bus companies in town trying to secure tickets in this ungodly eleventh hour, despite the fact that I know there will be none available anymore because of the holidays ahead. Most of the buses have suspended transportation services to Thailand momentarily due to the violence. The rest were sold out. None had available tickets.

Maybe I should have stuck to India....or remained in the Perhentians. Now, I can't go anywhere because all tickets to everywhere are sold out. I'm stuck with 15000 Thai Baht that I can't spend in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Posted by Ripcord at April 29, 2004 08:37 PM

Comments

Nordic Walking, it's walking with these sticks that resemble the sticks you use while skiing :)

Posted by: Jenni at April 29, 2004 09:44 PM

get the currency changed to rupees and just fly down to india. good, cheap, fun, safer. and do it before it gets too hot there. and dont risk your life, for christ's sake. not for surfing!

Posted by: sarah at April 29, 2004 09:49 PM

Well, Edwin,

What can I say? Well, you could spend time in KL with all of us hangin out with some Cathopia or something... If you are hangin out here, then pop by and give us a tinkle...

Posted by: Roger Hew at April 29, 2004 11:11 PM

Dear Rip, I guess something bigger than us is protecting you. Change destination, there must a wave somewhere else too. Damn... to scary,... don't go. DON'T GO to Thailand!

Ok I am not your mum, do whatever:)
p.s If I were you, I would like to go too. It is all the "action Rambo stuff" which is exciting. BTW, what holidays are coming up in Malaysia? I am totally clueless, why are all the bus tickets sold out?

Posted by: Nina at April 29, 2004 11:54 PM

sarah : been thinking ages about india but i think i'm having a period where i'm a bit tired of always being on the move...? plus, there's no surf in india. i just want to go surfing... =(

roger : who/what is cathopia? remind me!

nina : labour day on 1st may + the weekend. if the big guy up there is involved in what happened today, then there is no way in hell(or heaven) i can get to thailand no matter how hard i try.

Posted by: ripcord at April 30, 2004 12:58 AM

VERY professional! I love the site. And yes, I do agree the imgs do take long to load, but I have to have them. :)

Posted by: Gina at April 30, 2004 01:51 AM

Go back to Perhentian. I'll be there from 4th to the 8th... albeit in Perhentian Besar... :)

Posted by: Swampy at April 30, 2004 09:13 AM

saved once again eh. Seems like a risky time to be heading down to Thailand. BTW Roger how the fuck are you? married yet?

Posted by: Chee Yong at April 30, 2004 01:10 PM

Ed.. I just got to say ahhahahhahhahha LOL:)

It always happens to you.

Posted by: brains at April 30, 2004 04:34 PM

it happen it happen again muhahahahaha edwin i relly wonder why u alway miss flight, plane, ship.......etc. hey ppl welcome to edwin world....hahahhaha

Posted by: joe teoh at April 30, 2004 04:56 PM

Mate.... what a right royal cock up, but I have to agree with nina, there must be a greater force at work, although you will be missing out on some great surf, it's really not worth getting your head blown off not when you can surf elsewhere. Hope you get something else to do and are not bored out your brain.
I have spent this whole week back up in good old Preston, Squires Monday night meeting up with alot of the old faces and I'm staying right through till this Monday.

Stay safe, speak soon RB

Posted by: VIRGIN at April 30, 2004 05:57 PM

see... despite it all He has a plan for you. ;P

Posted by: grim at April 30, 2004 09:12 PM

Not as dumb as me. Read my new Perhentian post. I am such a fuck up.

Posted by: Tim at May 1, 2004 11:46 AM

Aww, I'm sorry you missed your train! It's funny though:P Nice layout, I like those little pics on the top:)

Posted by: Trixie at May 1, 2004 05:43 PM

added your link! =) made a little surfer button! hehe...

Posted by: Mel at May 1, 2004 08:03 PM

hola dude,
u called.. sorry was sleeping.. hihi, yup i changed.. yup.. trust me, still missin u.. hihi.
so sad u miss ur bus, i was suppose to go fullmoon party but boy oh boy, bas elek ler.. frenz partyin there w/o mua...
well hope sein u again ..pretty busy with shitty stuffz.. get to ya soon, phone barred. hihi.
-c-

Posted by: insomniacc at May 2, 2004 01:55 AM

Dude, there are things in life I love dearly, but all that risk over a surf? Assuming you could go, why not forsake this one surf for the next thousand?

///julz

Posted by: julz at May 2, 2004 04:48 AM

swampy : you should go to long beach in perhentian kecil!

chee yong & julz : don't think i should worry too much until i get shot...? if that's the case, then it would be one heckuva memorable surf trip!

rich : back to good 'ol preston days eh? down a pint for me mate!

tim : glad to know that i am not the only one that missed my ride. ladies and gentlemen, tim here, missed his flight because he set his alarm TOO LATE the night before and didn't have enough time to make it for the flight! my condolences, tim.

insomniac : it seems everyone is going for the full moon party this time around...

Posted by: ripcord at May 2, 2004 07:53 PM

Well Edwin, donīt despair!
Youīve told me so much about the surf way of live. I meant, this is not the only one chance for surfing Thailand; also i really think itīs not the best one!
Iīm truly sad you are stuck in KL becouse i know you love surfing. But, i want to go one step forward, what about poor Kelly? What does she think about this situation? Probably she needs some action and you should be able to give her...
So, possible solution: Pack everything up and come to Canary Islands.
Let us know which is yours solution my friend!!!

Posted by: gerardilla at May 2, 2004 11:18 PM

gerardo : gee, thanks for those words mate! i'm sure Kelly would love to get wet but like you said, it just isn't the time to go yet. anyway, there are still no waves in thailand - only a million beautiful girls. =( so, maybe I come to Canary Islands?

Posted by: ripcord at May 3, 2004 09:22 PM