Malaysia England Spain China Germany Italy New Zealand Indonesia

archives by entry title

4 April 2004

Financing Travels

Location : Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

There is something about Kuala Lumpur that turns me into a lazy bum. I don't have to cook or wake up early and there is always a washing machine around. In fact, even when someone tries to get me out, I'd really rather stay at home and vegetate in front of the computer. So, I hardly go out but lately, when I do go out, I go out of the country!

Quite often, I get people asking me how the heck do I finance my trips. Mostly people who come from countries with pathetic currencies. I've kinda answered it before in an old post. To dispel the myth that has gotten some readers(mostly Malaysians) of Mindriot wondering for a long time - is Ripcord a rich bastard who bums around the world? No. I am my own financier and I am intentionally jobless. I'm going to let you in on a little secret - the recent trip to England and Finland is a great example of how you can finance your trips. You see, I meant to go to London for only four days(2-6th March). But the feeling in London was nice and I wanted to stay back but I could not afford it. What did I do? Get a job. Yes, it's as simple as that! I was working temporarily in London to extend my stay and to finance the trip to Finland. So what I'm trying to say is that if you are not fussy about casual jobs, if you have no pride to protect, walk from shop to shop asking for work. There will usually be one place where the employers are not able to find anyone to do a certain job(i.e.dishwashing, cleaning toilet maybe?, etc.). That job is usually a shit job or a job that doesn't lead you to a career.

Ok, taken for granted I had mates in London this time around that helped me find a job.....plus, when I was living in London, I used to work for Paul Frank and O'neill. But how do you think I started out here in London? Alone. I was walking from shop to shop, desperately asking for a job....any kind of work! I've had many good and bad times travelling but this was one humbling experience I'll remember for life. And besides London, I have done it successfully 3 other times in 3 different places, all by myself again. So trust me, that idea works. You don't really have to have money to travel. You just need to start off with a plane ticket, the balls to risk it(too bad for ladies), a bit of pocket money, some ingenuity, a can-do attitude, positiveness and most importantly, a relentless willpower. Think about it, if only there weren't so many working restrictions, we could actually dishwash our way around the world!

However, I don't work everytime I travel. It's only in the expensive countries that the idea of working to stay longer would be really feasible. Spending costs for one week in London is about the same as almost one month's expenditure in Bali. So, wouldn't you rather work in London to pay off the visit? Not many people will do it the way I do because it is probably considered 'extreme' to some. Not many people like washing dishes. I don't, but I do it anyway because I don't bloody care. So if you can provide me with a room and food, I'll come over and do the dishes for you, honey! I have plenty of industrial dishwashing experience. ;)

Posted by Ripcord at April 4, 2004 08:09 AM

Comments

Sorry, but do you feel the need to justify your financial standing? I think what you do and how you do it, is perfectly your business. Noone and absolutely no one should judge you with regards to your financial status.

Often is admirable when a person is independent especially like you, rather than spending parental dosh. Many people who travel the world do it off their own bats. I have met so many travellers who have done it the way you do.

Chapeau!

Posted by: Nina at April 5, 2004 05:05 AM

Ooops before you misunderstand me, I wanted to say "chapeau" (French) in the sense of "hats off to you"!

It is really great and humbling. Not forgetting shows a strength of character, really I admire you for it.

Posted by: Nina at April 5, 2004 05:08 AM

thanks for the compliments! not a justification but mainly to spark up ideas on solving the money barrier with regards to travelling for people who complain about inadequate finance. i just get tired of people asking all the time so i thought i'd make a post about it, present the readers with my ideas(dunno why they never thought of it) and how i go about it. i'm going to add this post into the FAQ so when the next person asks, i'll just tell them to read the FAQ.

Posted by: ripcord at April 5, 2004 05:13 AM

yea, and if they still dont get it, refer them to the FUQ U section. hehe

Posted by: leonuts at April 5, 2004 05:49 AM

Screw those people who make a big deal out of it. I think I know the types you mean, it's usually those who are rich bratty types or those who cannot imagine anyone travelling unless they're rich bratty types.

Then they automatically assume that you're a pimp or a drug dealer or some kind of prostitute.

As long as you're having fun, (and doing it the right way) don't bother to justify nuts to them.

Cheers!
///Julz

Posted by: Julz at April 5, 2004 06:01 AM

leo : maybe you can help me with that section...

julz : that's right baby....screw the worrrrrllldd!!! ;)

Posted by: ripcord at April 5, 2004 06:46 AM

enough yabber. has anyone pledged a blowjob yet?...

Posted by: grim at April 5, 2004 04:04 PM

...i guess that's, loosely put, a literal translation of 'putting your money where your mouth is?'

Posted by: grim at April 5, 2004 04:05 PM

But .. but.. butt you told me that you smuggle goods from one country to another to finance your trips...so which is it now?? or is that what you meant by work ...:) eehehehheh

gotta get out of that comfort ZONE.. arrrghhhhhhh

Posted by: brains at April 5, 2004 08:21 PM

what comfort zone?
is there such a thing mate? i think what we perceive as a 'comfort zone' isn't really all the comfortable. its an illusion... reality is when you go out there and grab it by the balls.

Posted by: grim at April 6, 2004 12:58 AM

grim : no BJ pledges yet. you sure it wasn't the horns you were pulling? if it was the balls, i doubt you'd be here today.

brains : sssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!! =)

Posted by: ripcord at April 6, 2004 01:31 AM

still trying to figure out difference between pulling horns and balls?

i guess the difference depends on who's doing the pulling... if its a girl she'd prolly get further pulling the balls... if its a dude then the horns would do better?

am i getting any closer master?...

Posted by: grim at April 6, 2004 03:36 AM

yo grim.... you pretty right my comfort zone is not that comfortable .. although i still term it as the comfort zone... so prolly what i meant blatantly by that was.. "f*** the world"

Anyways why are you so facinated by BJ's? Just go to Haji Taib or Geylang and I am sure you would get some at a bargain .. they might even throw in a thing or 2 for you

Right Ed?????

Posted by: brains at April 6, 2004 01:31 PM

i think what you're doing is super admirable and the best way to live. i'd LOVE to do it your way...just need to find the balls to take the leap; leave the corporate crap and just travel.

Posted by: sarah at April 11, 2004 08:53 PM

sarah : i was in the corporate world before...

Posted by: Ripcord at April 12, 2004 02:39 AM

Yo, I just thought of something that you can actually make money while you're in Malaysia. You can actually do some emcee jobs for me or any other event company. Pays damn good if you are a professional. I started out with RM 400 and now i'm getting paid RM1500 to RM2500 per day!Before i started the event company,i wuz making about RM 25k for 12 days work and i wuz doing it part time....:O)
I can train you on how to play some stage games and compere the event.
I've heard you talk on the mic before and i think you can cut it as an emcee.
Next time you are back here in M'sia, we'll put you out in the market. Sounds good to you?
BTW, i have an emcee who has earn him enough dough to buy himself a house within a year, that's how good the money is!

Posted by: madmatt at April 30, 2005 06:00 PM